First recommendation is: Travel light.
Backpacking checklist: The most important thing is to travel light. Be smart and ruthless when deciding what to put in your backpack. Decide what are you essential items that will be used at least once a day. It’s a difficult process and having a stylish outfit everyday sounds like a must. But trust us you will not be appreciating your heavy backpack when it is on your back for hours at a time.
Find below a list of the essential essentials to bring with you! Stuff that you actually need to sleep, protect yourself and maintain proper hygiene while travelling (try to anyways!)
- Sleeping bag
- Sun protection
- Sun glasses
- Mosquito repellent
- First Aid Kit
- Reusable filtering water bottle
- Clothes, the essential for all the events
- Smartphone (maps, picture, videos, calls and more)
- Documents holder (wallet, extra credit cards)
- World travel adapter
- Soap to wash your clothes
- Cables’ case (with all charges and cables you will need)
- Power bank
- Slippers, and an extra pair of shoes
- A padlock
- Fanny pouch
- Waterproof jacket. (get one that wraps up really small)
- Skin and body care essential for women or men
- Microfiber travel towel (these are great and dry really fast!)
- Essential toiletries
Now this might sound like a hell of a list already right! Well it is when you have to get it all into 1 backpack. Packing cubes are really handy if you like to keep things organised and easy accessible. Also check out below for tips on how to pack your backpack for maximum ease and comfort.
How to pack your backpack properly?
When planning to pack your backpack break it down into three zones.
- Zone 1: The Bottom. This is great for bulky items that you won’t need until you stop somewhere for the night.
- Zone 2: The Core. Put your heavier items here in the middle. It won’t feel as heavy when you place them in this area of your bag.
- Zone 3: The Top. Anything you might need during the day. It will be easier to grab it from the top while maintaining the weight and solid pack.
- Utilize your pockets! Good for essentials you’ll need urgently or often.
- If you are lucky enough to be in great weather you can loop and tie stuff to the outside of your backpack. Such as shoes, towels, yoga mats.
Pack your bag in a vertical way in rows. This way packing and unpacking will be easier. It’s important to keep the balance and weight in mind. If you pack all the heavy stuff at the bottom. Your bag is going drag you down on the way as the support will not be on your shoulders. Tighten all your straps properly for your size to prevent slipping and unstability while walking.
Backpacking Checklist: Cooking & Food Essentials
Depending on your location and itinerary some essential items to cook with can come in very handy. Maybe more so if you are backpacking and/or camping for the weekend, not necessarily across South-East Asia.
- Fire matches, lighter, tinder and/or stove
- Multi-purpose knive
- Bottle opener
- Stoves and lighters
- Small freezer bag for perishables.
Hopefully we have helped you get a better idea on what items your should bring with you on your adventure. Want to celebrate your homecoming with family and a bottle of cold bubbly, check out our collection of wine coolers. Make yours extra personal with a photo of your favourite place or memory!